We can't believe that it's only been a year since we started the #GoodMuslimBadMuslim podcast - and what a ride it's been! Check out some of our wonderful media hits from the second half of 2015. Thank you for spreading that #GoodMuslimBadMuslim love! Keep using that hashtag and sending us your questions& topics! And if you are in the media, do hit us up - we'd LOVE to talk to you!
In the aftermath of the #SanBernardino shooting, we've both been thinking and writing. Be sure to check out our pieces:
Zahra Noorbakhsh in A Self-Care Guide to Counter Trump Fatigue at Bitch Media, Dec 18, 2015.
The one where Zahra asks Santa Khomeini for presents, Taz explains the origins of the evil Empire, and they cast Muslim Star Wars.
Can you believe it has been a year of #GoodMuslimBadMuslim-ing? Thanks to the SF Grotto for hosting us for this recording! Check out the following links to follow along to Episode #12: Muslim Christmas:
- We got Wired! Check us out in "5 Women Quashing Preconceptions About Islam on Social Media" in the December 2015 issue.
- Totally fangirled when Glenn Greenwald tweeted about us.
- Zahra writes a piece over at Bitch Magazine called, "A Self-Care Guide To Counter Trump Fatigue."
- Taz writes about what it is like growing up in San Bernardino in aftermath of San Bernardino shootings for Truthout: Islamophobia After San Bernardino.
- There have been lots and lots of hate crimes against people perceived as Muslim since the San Bernardino shootings. Here's a list.
- Somali American child falls to death - hate crime or not is still being debated.
- President Obama addresses the San Bernardino shooting.
- Zahra talks to Neda Ulaby at NPR about What American Muslims Do On Christmas.
- Donald Trump leading in the polls, but Taz isn't sure how.
- Republican party wants to kick Trump out of their party.
- Hasan Minhaj refers to Trump as WISIS - in other words, WHITE ISIS. Which totally makes sense.
- Heaven Points as defined by Zahra in her column The Infidel Husband.
- Princess Leia Hijabi Tutorial
- We Are Better Than This Campaign ad in The New York Times - be sure to sign and show your support!
- Bollywood actor Aamir Khan talks about how the Modi government has created a sense of fear in India.
- Reporters allowed into home of San Bernardino shooters home.
- Millennial Muslims are using apps to date.
- After two years, Taz's monthly Radical Love column has come to an end! Catch up - all the essays will be online right here.
The one where Zahra uses her telepathic powers and Taz finds out the Statue of Liberty is Muslim.
The one where Taz tries dating a White guy and Dartmouth's Millennial Muslims dare Zahra to prove her pepperoni-eating habits. Both women decide that they are smarter than neurosurgeon Ben Carson.
The one where Zahra goes "off the grid" while Taz wants the hot men out of her life.
The one where Taz gets her sex education through Barbie dolls and Zahra sends an angry letter full of #MuslimRage & #MuslimCrazy to the internet.
The one where Taz and Zahra meet up in the Big Apple: Zahra becomes an Iranian foreign policy expert because of a joke and Taz declares war on bacon flavored seaweed.
We recorded this Episode 7 of our podcast in front of a live studio audience in New York City! To follow along, check out the links below.
- The awesome DJ Rekha was our dedicated DJ for the whole show and was on stage with us the whole time! Check her out here.
- Our show was opened by comedy sets by Dina Hashem and Azhar Usman.
- We hosted a Poetry A Day for Ramadan writing group. Read our poems here.
- Zahra performed at the Muslim Funny Fest in late July.
- I attended the Netroots Nation conference this year. And I spoke on a panel called, "Love is a Revolutionary Act: Using Culture to Shift Narratives in Communities of Color."
- At the 2011 Netroots Nation, a bunch of us organized a HIjabi Flashmob against the right wing conference.
- #BlackLivesMatter activists stormed the stage at Netroots Nation in 2015 when the presidential candidates were speaking.
- AJ+ news video on Sandra Bland.
- Chattanooga shooting and his diary entries.
- Taz was quoted in an article called, "Why Are We Still Asking Muslims to Condemn Terrorism?"
- Zahra was quoted on a radio news piece called, "#GoodMuslimBadMuslim host ponders Washington's pact with Tehran and asks: When can we go home?"
- Somewhere in New York there is a "Muslim-Free" gun store...
- Flight attendant refused a can of soda to a Hijabi Muslim woman, and now can't interact with customers any more.
- There are 1.57 billion Muslims in the world. In case you were wondering.
- There is bacon-flavored kale now. Also, bacon bits are vegan.
- People in NYC eating at the halal carts don't even know what "halal" means! How creeping shahria is that?
- City of Farmersville, TX, people are scared for the Muslim zombies and are pushing the Muslim graves out of their city.
- Listen to the Good Cha Podcast by Deepa Crash, who also thankfully moderated our Q&A! Follow her podcast to hear the whole thing.
- Taz is volunteering with Bay Area Solidarity Summer in Oakland. Check them out here!
- Thanks to the Asian American Writers Workshop for hosting our show - learn more about them here!
This past week the #GoodMuslimBadMuslim team was on the road for the Muslim Funny Fest in New York City. The festival was great - there were some amazing comedians that had us laughing and cringing. Our very own Zahra did an awesome set on the second day of the festival - and you can check it out right here. Watch, laugh, enjoy! Thanks to the organizers of the event for creating a much needed space.
And stay tuned for our New YorK City podcast which will be uploaded very very soon!
Zahra and Taz are coming to New York City, and we need you to LAUGH!
Join us at the Asian American Writers Workshop on Thursday, July 23rd at 7pm to be a part of the studio audience for the recording of Episode #7 of the #GoodMuslimBadMuslim podcast!
You are promised an evening of conversation and laughter as the quirky yet controversial duo of the #GoodMuslimBadMuslim podcast record a live show for their next episode from the heart of the Big Apple. Stay tuned as co-hosts Zahra Noorbakhsh and Taz Ahmed declare fatwas, creep Sharia and hand out Good Muslim awards. The show will be recorded. As is all of their conversations. Stick around for the Q&A Aftershow, moderated by Deepa Crash of the Good Cha Podcast. Co-sponsored by the Mipsterz - Muslim Hipsters, Muslim Writers Collective, Brown Girl Magazine, & South Asian Women's Creative Collective - SAWCC.
BONUS - if you want to laugh even MORE, catch Zahra doing standup at the Muslim Funny Fest on July 22nd! You can get tickets for the show right here at this link.
Back in May, Zahra and Taz had an awesome time getting interviewed by John Fugelsang and Frank Conniff for the SirusXM show Tell Me Everything. We weren't able to share the link - so instead, we're going to share the audio directly! Listen to the audio from the show right here - and thanks to the Tell Me Everything team for inviting us on!
We've had an exciting time this summer! And an exciting time with media. Thank you so much to everyone that's been listening to our podcast, sharing it, covering it, and giving us some love. We read all of your emails and tweets, even if we don't respond. We love you, we really do.
Here's a summary of some of our funnest media hits this summer. We love talking to media. So if you are in the media, do hit us up! We would love to talk to you! And to follow the conversation, please be sure to use the hashtag #GoodMuslimBadMuslim!
The one where Taz is mistaken for a Reality TV Star, Zahra refuses to claim she's pregnant, and special guest Saqib gets free KFC. They all skip PE. Ramadan Mubarak!
Ramadan Mubarak! We know how slow everything can get when it's hot outside and you are fasting long hours - so we're here to make it easy for you. Follow along to our latest episode with the following links!
- Our amazing podcast guest is Saqib Keval is from Oakland's The People's Kitchen. Follow the link for more information!
- The three of us met initially when working on the Totally Radical Muslims Zine together four years ago.
- Eating disorders can make Ramadan complicated. Check out this piece by Leanne Scorzoni on how to support loved ones with eating disorders during the month of Ramadan.
- Poetry-A-Day-For-Ramadan: the public online zine with poems daily for Ramadan 2015!
- Muslim prayer moves are just like yoga moves! Check out these five ways!
- Taz went to Ferguson and collaborated with the folks at Hands Up United.
- Gigi of Shahs of Sunset looks nothing like Taz.
- Muslim girls designed their own hijabi sports gear! Read more right here.
The one where Taz gets shamed by association while Zahra's entire family gets propositioned (by handshake) in Dubai.
We have been shamed! And we talk about it in this podcast. Here's the list of links so you can follow along.
- Read about Zahra's trip to Dubai in her column Infidel Husband - Pt. 1: My Iranian Breakup & Pt. 2: The Yellow Dot Near Dubai
- We made it to BBC World! Listen to our interview here.
- Brene Brown's Ted Talk on Listening to Shame.
- What does the Research Say? That Muslim Youth Need Sex Education by Sobia Ali Faisal over at the HEART Women & Girl blog. Infographic through the link!
- The Mother Jones article that made Zahra give up pork for good (almost): USDA Whistleblowers Tell All–and You May Never Eat Bacon Again.
- Taz's column Radical Love.
- Amazing arts and culture convo over at Pushing Hoops With Sticks Podcast with Aamer Rahman - You're Not Crazy.
- The Killing of Osama Bin Laden by Seymour Hersh and the real story behind how Bin Laden was not dumped in the ocean when he died.
- The sweet talker Osama Bin Laden is on Tinder. Check out this article for more background - Jihad Me At Hello.
- Guess who is the next to join the good Muslim team? Lindsay Lohan. Because she was spotted holding a Quran.
- Rafika Alami has the best high school quote ever, over at BuzzFeed. She is hands down G.O.A.T.! #JustEatAGoat
- We had an AWESOME time talking to Bitch Magazine's Popaganda Podcast on the theme of Guilty Pleasure. You must listen to it.
- For more check out www.zahracomedy.com and www.tazzystar.blogspot.com
This has got to be one of our most favorite forms of flattery - having a story from our podcast turned into an animation. This cartoon was sent to us by Kulsum, a Pomona College student who had to create a piece of animation for a class project. The story is Taz's Awkward Ask a Muslim moment from episode #4. For the record, the guy that approached Taz was not White, but it is an interesting conversation on how to interpret race in a narrative when race isn't explicit - though Taz can guarantee the story would have gone a lot differently if he was white. And thank you so much to the animator for making Taz looks skinny.
We like fan mail of all kinds - especially with words! Please continue to tweet us using the hashtag #GoodMuslimBadMuslim and send us emails! We are reading them and using them to shape our podcast. Thank you for listening!
Wow, what an incredible month - we are super excited to have been invited to the All Things Considered Weekend Edition with Arun Rath. We had a great conversation which you can listen to at the audio below and be sure to read the article too (excerpt below!).