The one where Zahra creates a Sharia ring tone and Taz shares her phobia of secret passages.
The one where Taz receives a Champion of Change in Art and Storytelling from the White Houseand brings Zahra with her to creep sharia, LIVE from the White House.
Bonus: We spoke with Muslim staffers in the White House about what it's like to work in the White House and we also got a chance to interviewed fellow Champion of Change in Art and Storytelling awardees Fawzia Mirza and Kayhan Irani.
HOLY MOLY, they let us in to record from INSIDE the White House! Here are the links so you can follow along:
- Taz got an award from the White House! She was one of ten Asian American and Pacific Islanders who received the Champion of Change in Art and Storytelling award last month. Check out the blog Taz wrote for the White House about the award, the Crafting with Mom and Collecting Legacies #MyAAPIStory she recorded for StoryCorps, and this interview she gave to Dexter Thomas with the LA Times with fellow awardees Jenny Yang and Jason Fong!
- Taz recorded a reflection of her White House visit over at her epistolry project Bholo::Speak
- This student said "Inshallah" on a Southwest flight, and then got kicked off. It's fact.
- Students at San Diego State University protested the university's president by praying in front of his car.
- A Muslim woman files a lawsuit against Long Beach Police Dept for having her remove her hijab. You know, because that's illegal.
- POTUS went to a Baltimore Mosque, the first visit by the administration to a mosque. Here's what he said.
- Toddlers are involved with more shootings than Muslims. Well that should have been obvi.
- Chobani workers gain ownership of the business, thanks to the generous Muslim company owner.
- Did you miss it? Taz and Zahra were in Cosmopolitan - where they called us twenty-somethings. Which is the total truth.
- We had an awesome conversation with fellow #WHChamps Fawzia Mirza and Kayhan Irani.
BONUS: Check out this White House AAPI Heritage Month Playlist! Mishthi Music (Taz's music site) helped curate this list!
We're back from our podcast recording at the White House, and returning to headquarters, aka the mosque! Join us for a night of creeping Sharia, Awkward Ask a Muslim moments, Good Muslim awards, Fatwas and more at Oakland’s Islamic Cultural Center of Northern California (ICCNC).
Saturday, June 4 at 8pm
Doors open at 7:45pm
Islamic Cultural Center of Northern California (ICCNC)
1433 Madison Ave
#GoodMuslimBadMuslim's May episode was recorded LIVE at the White House! It'll be coming to you soon but we wanted to share a quick teaser.
I (this is Taz) am incredibly honored and humbled to be receiving a Champion of Change award on the theme of Art and Storytelling from the White House Asian American and Pacific Islander Initiative. I'll be accepting the award with 9 of my peers - all who are doing amazing artivism for the community. Particularly thrilled to share the stage w/ longtime collaborator Jenny Yang, and my favorite phone banker Jason Fong. My dad and my siblings will be joining me for this week and, inshallah, I'll get to read a couple of my poems at the ceremony too! It will be the first time my dad has ever heard me recite poetry.
As someone who is really trying to figure out what the intersection is between political paradigm shifting and moving people with their hearts and minds - it feels really surprising to be seen, especially by the White House. I feel passionately about using art as a tool for change, for re-centering, for being heard, for creating safe space, for decolonizing how others see people like me.
Listen to this #MyAAPIStory I recorded at StoryCorps at the link to the right. Be sure to record your own at StoryCorps.me!
And THANK YOU LOYAL LISTENERS! This would never have happened without all your support in making this podcast a thing.
The one where Zahra's mother waxes and oils Zahra's husband at their first meeting, while Taz wonders how Zayn Malik manscapes.
We get real intimate in this podcast about washing and body hair. Here are some links to what we talked about:
- Brussels Attack article talking about how Muslim attacker was "dangerously normal".
- Man asked to spell his "foreign" name at the polls.
- Muslim immigrants were deported this past month.
- Sesame Street introduces a hijabi puppet named Zari.
- School may expel Muslim youth for getting bullied.
- Mpower and all of their petitions.
- Bangladeshi bloggers getting murdered for secular ideas.
- I Call My Brothers the play.
- Zahra was guest on the Interfaith Voices podcast.
- AF3IRM Earrings of Shadow and Light Art Show (coming to NYC very soon!)
On this week's Snap Judgement, you can hear our very own Zahra talking about heaven points, eating pork, wearing hijab and religious farts! She took the stage at the Snap Judgement LIVE Oakland show earlier this year. Take a listen! And for those of you coming to our website for through listening to Snap Judgement - thanks for stopping by! And be sure to subscribe to the #GoodMuslimBadMuslim Podcast!
The one where Taz rebels against patriarchy with subtle physical deconstruction, Zahra finally answers the question of "Where's the Rumi," and both of them get into a fierce competition with an Auntie Staredown.
Special thanks to Dropbox for inviting us to record at the South by Southwest Dropbox Podcast Studio as well as a special mashallah to Amanda Quraishi for guest judging the Auntie Stare Down.
Zahra and I had a BLAST at South by Southwest - thanks to Dropbox for flying us out and making this experience happen! See, look at how happy we are in this cute video of all the Podcast Studio participants! You want those links to what we said? Check out what we talked about below:
- Taz's chapbook is available now - Emdash & Ellipses.
- Mishthi Music - Taz's South Asian diaspora music blog.
- Taz was honored in NBC's 31 Days of Feminism for the month of women!
- Fencer Ibtihaj Muhammad was asked to take her hijab off at #SXSW. But just look at how cool she looks on the Ellen Show. How could you?
- Three boys were stabbed in Huntington Beach for speaking in Arabic.
- Three people were shot in Milwaukee for speaking another language and being Brown.
- And another three black men were shot & #OurThreeBrothers campaign started.
- Surashbhai Patel GHangout with 18MillionRising, check out the video #Justice4MrPatel.
- Protest of Trump in Chicago was led by Latino and Muslim students.
- Sanders took the Muslim vote in Michigan.
- Feminist critique of Clinton.
- Muslim themed children's books.
- Curious George celebrates Ramadan.
- Saqib Javed and his epic hair flip felt around the world.
- 7% of Muslims are voting for Trump.
- Trump's Muslim daughter - Ayesha Ali Trump.
- Muslim women removed from plane for staring. But like, aunties stare. So get over it.
- Taz's latest project w/ Rohin Guha, Bholo::Speak
- Zahra's YouTube Channel where you can watch her one-minute stories.
- The Coiled Serpent from Tia Chucha Press - the Los Angeles poetry anthology Taz is in.
- Thank you to Amanda Quraishi for moderating the Auntie Staredown!
While there, Taz was also able to check out South Asian musicians for her South Asian Diaspora site Mishthi Music. Check out the posts she wrote on the musicians here:
The ladies of #GoodMuslimBadMuslim are ready to take on the land of hooking longhorns, Whole Food, and keeping it weird! That's right, Zahra & Taz are coming to Austin, Texas to record a live episode at South By Southwest! Please come by and be a part of our live studio audience - listen to some fatwas, get creeped on with some shahria, and stay after for a little Q&A by Austin's own Amanda Quraishi!
March 15th, 1:30pm - 3:00pm
Dropbox Podcast Studio
Lustre Pearl, 94 Raine St. Austin, Texas
There will be limited seating for this event, so be sure to get your tickets now. RSVP at this link: https://dropboxpodcaststudioatsxsw.splashthat.com/
Thank you to Dropbox Podcast Studio who will be hosting this event - as well as a series of podcasting shows and workshops over March 14th & March 15th - be sure to check out their entire schedule!
Join Zahra on Feb 27th as she joins Glynn Washington and rest of the team of the awesome Snap Judgement Live! for a performance at the Paramount Theatre in Oakland, CA! Get your tickets now!
Join Taz on Feb 25th at Los Angeles' Almost All Asian Family Reunion Storytelling Show hosted by Angry Asian Man at Echoes Under Sunset. Get your tickets here!
The one where Taz is scarred from learning about Jinns in a man's urethra, Zahra eats her way through an edible burka and both get into a Hijarbie vs Jihottie pillow fight.
In our sexy episode of #GoodMuslimBadMuslim we talk about a lot of fun fun stuff. Special thanks to Ellen & Eric for making this show happen this month! Follow the hot links below:
- The organization HEART is releasing a book for Muslims on their wedding night.
- The Joy Of Sex was first published in the 1970s.
- For your halal sex needs we now have the Halal Sex Shop, open now in the UK.
- Check out the book Love, Inshallah which Zahra and Taz are both in!
- You can read the book Al-Jinn by Ahmed Sakr online here.
- Jihotties are getting sent over to Daesh for their sexual needs.
- But the ISIS sex slaves escaped and have started their own army.
- The sex-positive Muslim women of the Tuareg Tribe from the Sahara.
- President Obama went to go visit a mosque for the first time of his presidency.
- Ben Carson affirms #MuslimCrazy and says all Muslims are schizophrenic for living in a Democracy.
- South Carolina's House government bans Shahria Law, in a sweeping original move.
- Hijarbie Barbie is a fashionable thing now.
- The edible burka art project from Afghani Behnaz Babazadeh is simply scrumptious.
- Serial Podcast is back - listen to Asia McClain take the stand for Adnan Syed.
- This Absurd FBI Site Teaches Teens to Spot Violent Extremists (very very very poorly) over at Gizmodo.
- ACLU just put in a FOIA request to see what the FBI is doing behind Countering Violent Extremism program.
The one where Zahra & Taz celebrate their anniversary in Michigan. Zahra discovers Sharia creeping into the GOP and Taz uncovers the Muslimification of her exes.
Thank you so much to University of Michigan's South Asian Awareness Network for hosting us for this episode of #GoodMuslimBadMuslim! Check out the following links to follow along to Episode #13 - Live From University of Michigan:
- Zahra and Taz were in Oprah Magazine as a Must Listen Podcast!
- Hamptramack, Michigan has a Muslim majority City Council. They even refer to themselves as BanglaTown!
- Governor Snyder rejected refugees from coming to Michigan.
- Flint, Michigan crisis and what the emails have shown us.
- Sterling Heights in Michigan rejected having a mosque getting built for fear of ISIS.
- Dolce & Gabbana release fancy shmancy high end hijabs.
- Zahra & Taz were guests on the Denzel Washington is the Greatest Actor of All Time Podcast talking about the movie The Siege. And then they invented a drinking game.
- Favianna Rodriguez is an amazing radical brown artist.
- Republicans want to bomb Agrabah, the fictional city from the Disney movie Aladdin.
- Not Without My Daughter was a big deal movie to Iranians.
- Sarah Palin endorses Trump.
- A hijabi woman showed up to a Trump rally and people got mad.
- The 2011 Hijabi Flashmob Taz and crew did at the RightOnline conference.
- The movie The Muslims Are Coming is very different now.
- Why Precisely is Bernie Sanders Against Reparations? by Ta-Nehisi Coates in The Atlantic.
- Nikki Haley was under bright lights at State of the Union Address.
- We the BEST because DJ Khaled is on Snapchat and said so. Here's an Old People's Guide to DJ Khaled.
- Dalia Mogahed on The Daily Show talking about the hijab gets our Good Muslim Award for this month.
- Taz's #MuslimVDay Cards were on Buzzfeed!
We can't believe that it's only been a year since we started the #GoodMuslimBadMuslim podcast - and what a ride it's been! Check out some of our wonderful media hits from the second half of 2015. Thank you for spreading that #GoodMuslimBadMuslim love! Keep using that hashtag and sending us your questions& topics! And if you are in the media, do hit us up - we'd LOVE to talk to you!
In the aftermath of the #SanBernardino shooting, we've both been thinking and writing. Be sure to check out our pieces:
Zahra Noorbakhsh in A Self-Care Guide to Counter Trump Fatigue at Bitch Media, Dec 18, 2015.
The one where Zahra asks Santa Khomeini for presents, Taz explains the origins of the evil Empire, and they cast Muslim Star Wars.