The one where we declare Christmas Fatwas to all.
The one after election day, where Taz wonders if Glenn Beck is now woke and Zahra almost finds a new husband at a meat market. Also, if you must wear a safety pin, buy ours.
This is a special longer episode featuring Taz and Zahra's post-election reflections.
So the Elections are done, you are in one of the five stages of grief, and you want to help! Here's a links to all the things we talked about in our "Pins and Polls" podcast, and be sure to join the conversation through our hashtag! And if you are so moved, we like our Christmas gift in the form of a donation.
- If you are the victim of a hate crime, please use this #ReportHate link at the Southern Poverty Law Center to report it.
- How do you even begin to protect yourself before Jan 20th? Here's a great How To list to get you started.
- Looking for your weekly list of activist things to do? Join Wall-Of-Us to get your updates!
- Join the Movement to Oppose Trump to join movement emails by Michael Skolnik.
- Not sure how to make calls or where to sign petitions? Use the 18MillionRising action tool right here - it's easy and the call tool will call your phone directly and link you up.
- Looking to make lots of calls? Use this "We're His Problem Now" calling tool right here.
- Money talks - and use #GrabYourWallet resource to know which business to boycott now.
- Trump Administration wants to reinstate NSEERS.
- The internment of the Japanese-Americans set a precedent for what might happen to Muslims.
- There have been 867 hate incidences in the ten days after Election Day, reports the Southern Poverty Law Center.
- To track the anti-Muslim hate crimes, you can visit Islamophobia.org
- Trump supporters threw fire into a car where the Muslim driver was burned.
- Why you shouldn't use the term "Alt-Right" and if you do, this is how the AP says to use it.
- Muslims are in solidarity with #NoDAPL. Just watch.
- If you want to support #NoDAPL, buy and send supplies here.
- Is Glenn Beck woke now? Read this article that implies he is - and then watch his interview with Anderson Cooper.
- Heera Hashmi and her amazing spreadsheet of Muslims condemning things gets a Good Muslim Award.
- SAALT cuts their ties with Southwest Airlines.
- Get your copy of Cashmere by the Swet Shop Boys.
- Follow the wise words and music of the awesome Humble the Poet.
In a time of dramatic world change, we know that some of you don't know what to do with yourselves. "How can I help?" you've asked. Might we suggest making a generous Zakat to the #GoodMuslimBadMuslim podcast? "Zakat" in Muslim-speak means "donation" - and if you like what you've heard us say, laugh and cry in the past 2 years of the podcast, make a donation! Your funds will help cover equipment cost, staff time, website maintenance and snacks. We'll send you exclusive #GoodMuslimBadMuslim stickers, and for a really generous donation, we'll mail you a super duper extra special Safety Pin - wear it on your lapel, on your hat, on your shoe - and let the world know you are a #GoodMuslimBadMuslim branded ally.
The one where Taz is on the front lines of being a nasty woman and Zahra asks why she can't have a lightsaber. Both want you to go vote!
We had such high hopes for this Election Day - check out the links below!
WE WON AN AWARD FROM THE OCA-GLA! Check them out, they do such great work.
Friendly reminder that Good Girls Marry Doctors is out, and you can still buy it.
We hung out in the YouTube LA space with Fusion, and here’s the awesome video we made.
“Nasty woman” was supposed to hurt Hillary. Turns out it isn’t.
But Hillary’s rhetoric it is hurting Muslims. The only “front lines” we’re in are for In-N-Out Burger.
It’s getting difficult to keep up with all the Islamophobia, so here’s a convenient timeline of hate.
We are big fans of Hindu and India, and Muslims like us didn’t get our lightsabers like the Hindu Rally said. We demand a refund from the mosques.
If Trump and his supporters wanted Muslims to leave America, he got what he wished for. These Muslims from North Carolina are leaving because of a hate attack on their son.
Pence and Trump are like that couple getting ready to divorce, but not sure whether they will. Pence doesn’t agree with the Muslim ban, but Trump…
The #GoodMuslimBadMuslim guide to voting from Fusion Comedy is up and it's hilarious. Don't let Trump goons keep you from your right to creep Sharia all over those poll-watchers.
Are you tired of the all the games the politicians are playing this fall? Are you ready to play games with their games? As we jump into the final debate for the Presidential Candidates on October 19th, 2016 we want you to play along! With The Official #GoodMuslimBadMuslim Bingo Game!
All you have to do is print out a bingo card - and play along on social media using #GoodMuslimBadMuslim. If you win, send us a photo of your bingo board - and we'll mail you some #GoodMuslimBadMuslim stickers! Good luck!
The one where Taz “reaches out” to NFL quarterbacks to convert them to social activism and Zahra makes Golden Retrievers cry. Both realize they forgot to wear their Muslim Garb. Also, Taz is single.
We’re 21! Our podcast can dr- ...well, I guess that depends on how much of a Good Muslim or Bad Muslim you are. But, regardless, we’re old enough to say we’ve been fighting ISIS for our entire adult lives.
Zahra was in NYC during 9/11 and the most recent bombings. By the way, his dad outed him to the FBI in 2014 and nothing happened. What.
We talk the bigotry when it comes to the shooting of Keith Lamont Scott, how some people think he was being “radicalized.” Because most people are radicalized while waiting to pick up their sons from school.
Some date cookies got bomb-squaded. The only bombs in them were sugar bombs.
Take another swig of pomegranate juice and rose water, another hate crime happened this week: a man’s car was set on fire.
Noor Taghuri spoke to Playboy about wearing a hijab, and Muslim Twitter went wild. Funny, we don’t remember them doing the same for Malcom X and Muhammad Ali.
Taz’s #GoodMuslim award goes out to DJ Nessa, Colin Kaepernick’s girlfriend. Taz also puts it out there that she’s willing to date any NFL quarterbacks. Zahra’s goes out to Rayouf Alhumedhi for designing a hijab emoji.
Taz’s fatwa is for doing away with the garbage term “Muslim Garb.” Women like Nazma Khanam deserve better.
Taz is not married. She is single.
The one where Taz never learns to swim because she didn't have a burqini and Zahra discovers racism in an easter egg. Both share their Muslim Appreciation month gift registries.
We were at the Comedy Comedy Festival in LA chilling in the podcast lounge when we just happened to do an episode. But what else has been happening?
- Taz went to the White House (again) for the Eid party! And she looked great.
- Also, she's in a book called Good Girls Marry Doctors, out now (20% off at Aunt Lute).
- Did you know that August is Muslim Appreciation Month in California? No wonder we're in a drought, all those Muslims are using the water for wudhu! #CreepingSharia.
- We got to meet Andrew Ti of the Yo, Is this Racist? podcast and record an episode with him! It's an Eid two-for-one deal.
- Two awful, awful hate crimes occurred. In New York, an imam and his assistant were shot, while a racist Texan shot an Arab-American to death after running over his mother.
- The burqini ban sucks, but it was repealed pretty quickly. We don't need any white saviors for our boobs.
- After the Wrath of Khan occurred at the DNC, Muslim women everywhere took part in #CanYouHearUsNow on Twitter. Many people also visited Humayan Khan's grave to lay flowers.
- Zahra talked to her dad about the Purvi Patel feticide case, and it was brutal.
- The Elgin Imam said he was GUILTY.
The one where Zahra discovers the true meaning of Fatwa, Taz gets the Hiba-jabis for being late, and both decide the world needs more gay pride.
The one where Zahra creates a Sharia ring tone and Taz shares her phobia of secret passages.
The one where Taz receives a Champion of Change in Art and Storytelling from the White Houseand brings Zahra with her to creep sharia, LIVE from the White House.
Bonus: We spoke with Muslim staffers in the White House about what it's like to work in the White House and we also got a chance to interviewed fellow Champion of Change in Art and Storytelling awardees Fawzia Mirza and Kayhan Irani.
HOLY MOLY, they let us in to record from INSIDE the White House! Here are the links so you can follow along:
- Taz got an award from the White House! She was one of ten Asian American and Pacific Islanders who received the Champion of Change in Art and Storytelling award last month. Check out the blog Taz wrote for the White House about the award, the Crafting with Mom and Collecting Legacies #MyAAPIStory she recorded for StoryCorps, and this interview she gave to Dexter Thomas with the LA Times with fellow awardees Jenny Yang and Jason Fong!
- Taz recorded a reflection of her White House visit over at her epistolry project Bholo::Speak
- This student said "Inshallah" on a Southwest flight, and then got kicked off. It's fact.
- Students at San Diego State University protested the university's president by praying in front of his car.
- A Muslim woman files a lawsuit against Long Beach Police Dept for having her remove her hijab. You know, because that's illegal.
- POTUS went to a Baltimore Mosque, the first visit by the administration to a mosque. Here's what he said.
- Toddlers are involved with more shootings than Muslims. Well that should have been obvi.
- Chobani workers gain ownership of the business, thanks to the generous Muslim company owner.
- Did you miss it? Taz and Zahra were in Cosmopolitan - where they called us twenty-somethings. Which is the total truth.
- We had an awesome conversation with fellow #WHChamps Fawzia Mirza and Kayhan Irani.
BONUS: Check out this White House AAPI Heritage Month Playlist! Mishthi Music (Taz's music site) helped curate this list!
We're back from our podcast recording at the White House, and returning to headquarters, aka the mosque! Join us for a night of creeping Sharia, Awkward Ask a Muslim moments, Good Muslim awards, Fatwas and more at Oakland’s Islamic Cultural Center of Northern California (ICCNC).
Saturday, June 4 at 8pm
Doors open at 7:45pm
Islamic Cultural Center of Northern California (ICCNC)
1433 Madison Ave
#GoodMuslimBadMuslim's May episode was recorded LIVE at the White House! It'll be coming to you soon but we wanted to share a quick teaser.
I (this is Taz) am incredibly honored and humbled to be receiving a Champion of Change award on the theme of Art and Storytelling from the White House Asian American and Pacific Islander Initiative. I'll be accepting the award with 9 of my peers - all who are doing amazing artivism for the community. Particularly thrilled to share the stage w/ longtime collaborator Jenny Yang, and my favorite phone banker Jason Fong. My dad and my siblings will be joining me for this week and, inshallah, I'll get to read a couple of my poems at the ceremony too! It will be the first time my dad has ever heard me recite poetry.
As someone who is really trying to figure out what the intersection is between political paradigm shifting and moving people with their hearts and minds - it feels really surprising to be seen, especially by the White House. I feel passionately about using art as a tool for change, for re-centering, for being heard, for creating safe space, for decolonizing how others see people like me.
Listen to this #MyAAPIStory I recorded at StoryCorps at the link to the right. Be sure to record your own at StoryCorps.me!
And THANK YOU LOYAL LISTENERS! This would never have happened without all your support in making this podcast a thing.
The one where Zahra's mother waxes and oils Zahra's husband at their first meeting, while Taz wonders how Zayn Malik manscapes.