The one where Zahra describes food in detail to a fasting Taz and Taz pitches a Muslim Bridesmaids movie.
The one where Taz and Zahra visit Manzanar.
For this very special episode of #GoodMuslimBadMuslim, Zahra and Taz went to the Japanese American 1940s internment camp known as Manzanar, It was part of the annual pilgrimage that has been happening at the site for the pas 48 years. Thank you to all the friends that allowed us to join in on this experience and a special well of love to the the Japanese American elders who were incarcerated and the activists that did the work to make sure this wasn't forgotten.
- To learn more about Executive Order 9066 and the Manzanar camp, watch Tad Nakamura's short film "Pilgrimage" available online here.
- To learn more about Vigilant Love Coalition - a solidarity art-first grassroots organization formed out of the Japanese American and Muslim community after the the San Bernardino shooting - please visit the Vigilant Love site.
- Learn more about Manzanar by visiting the National Park's website and to follow the Manzanar Committee's site to attend the next pilgrimage and other events. You also can visit the park on own, and we'd highly encourage you all to do so.
The one where Zahra explains leather daddies and Taz plans her passive-aggressive plane moves.
The one where Taz teaches the world the miracles of the "twig brush", Zahra declares the Irish prime minister Muslim, and they both plan a trip to Hawaii with the hot dudes of Kurdish Gents Club.
The one where Taz wins big money from an Aladdin slot machine, Zahra makes her husband test a Japanese toilet, and both pitch their business ideas to the business students of Wharton.
Other than Buzzfeed giving us another shoutout, we’ve been busy with our own personal projects. Taz got to sit down with a few other Californians to talk about her post-election thoughts, and Zahra went on NPR for an essay on prayer. Taz, too, went on another podcast: Sporkful, where she discussed love and pork. She's also performed at an event called Harness.
Besides Eid, there’s one holiday that Taz can’t get enough of… Valentine’s Day. If you’re into really kinky things like “heavy vetting” and using “unpresidented” as your safe word, then step right up to Taz’s Etsy shop. She almost always sells out.
Zahra also had her own sort of holiday: six performances of “On Behalf of All Muslims,” her new comedy special at the Islamic Cultural Center of Northern California. The San Francisco Chronicle even mentioned her special! Every night was sold out. Looks like we might have to do a live performance of #GoodMuslimBadMuslim too...
The one where Zahra self-cares with popcorn and cheese and Taz explains that bacon is not Kryptonite.
Welcome to the Trumpocalypse. First things first: we are not going away, and we are not changing our names to Sarah and Tammy.
- Start off with some levity: Taz's #MuslimVDay cards are out again, and they are selling out fast.
- Zahra was on NPR's Fresh Air with an essay about prayer (yes, yes, that rhymed).
- And Donald Trump listened to the Quran. It was... interesting.
- We don't wear hijabs, but if we did, we wouldn't want American flags on them. Here's why.
- The Muslim Ban is already hurting people and tearing apart families.
- A local mosque got attacked again, and the media plays it off as another "bacon trick."
- Lindsay Lohan might be Muslim now. Is Angelina Jolie next?
- Drones do not make good hobbies.
- Linda Sarsour was one of the leaders behind the Women's March, and she deserves all our support.
- Aziz Ansari's monologue was so good, you should watch it again.
- Find out about your rights and what plans you can make at places like CAIR.
The one where we declare Christmas Fatwas to all.
As we close out our second year of the podcast, we have a lot to reflect on. Most importantly, a Merry Muslim Christmas to All and a Happy New Year!
- First off, Taz had an amazing reading of Good Girls Marry Doctors in LA! If you still haven't gotten your copy yet, not to worry: Aunt Lute has it at a huge discount.
- We truly feel for Yasmin Seweid, the Muslim girl who falsified a police report, and hope that our communities can do better about making brown girls feel safe.
- There's a petition to out Mike Adams from the University of North Carolina Wilmington, just like he outed one of the queer Muslim students.
- Meanwhile, the agony in Aleppo continues. Daughters and wives have been asking their male relatives to kill them to avoid rape and torture from Assad's army.
- If you haven't heard already, Dylann Roof was found guilty.
- A Christmas gift from us: a syllabus on how white people can educate themselves. Please also join SURJ.
- Also, we are not your helpers. To put it in this article's words, "I am not your racial confessor."
- Here's the video for "Dear Child" that Taz co-produced, in case you felt like crying.
- Zahra appeared on BuzzFeed's "See Something, Say Something" podcast, in addition to CIIS' podcast.
- Taz also appeared on See Something, Say Something's podcast to talk about being Muslim and celebrating Christmas.
- Taz wrote an amazing piece about the Muslim registry, and you can read it right here.
The one after election day, where Taz wonders if Glenn Beck is now woke and Zahra almost finds a new husband at a meat market. Also, if you must wear a safety pin, buy ours.
This is a special longer episode featuring Taz and Zahra's post-election reflections.
So the Elections are done, you are in one of the five stages of grief, and you want to help! Here's a links to all the things we talked about in our "Pins and Polls" podcast, and be sure to join the conversation through our hashtag! And if you are so moved, we like our Christmas gift in the form of a donation.
- If you are the victim of a hate crime, please use this #ReportHate link at the Southern Poverty Law Center to report it.
- How do you even begin to protect yourself before Jan 20th? Here's a great How To list to get you started.
- Looking for your weekly list of activist things to do? Join Wall-Of-Us to get your updates!
- Join the Movement to Oppose Trump to join movement emails by Michael Skolnik.
- Not sure how to make calls or where to sign petitions? Use the 18MillionRising action tool right here - it's easy and the call tool will call your phone directly and link you up.
- Looking to make lots of calls? Use this "We're His Problem Now" calling tool right here.
- Money talks - and use #GrabYourWallet resource to know which business to boycott now.
- Trump Administration wants to reinstate NSEERS.
- The internment of the Japanese-Americans set a precedent for what might happen to Muslims.
- There have been 867 hate incidences in the ten days after Election Day, reports the Southern Poverty Law Center.
- To track the anti-Muslim hate crimes, you can visit Islamophobia.org
- Trump supporters threw fire into a car where the Muslim driver was burned.
- Why you shouldn't use the term "Alt-Right" and if you do, this is how the AP says to use it.
- Muslims are in solidarity with #NoDAPL. Just watch.
- If you want to support #NoDAPL, buy and send supplies here.
- Is Glenn Beck woke now? Read this article that implies he is - and then watch his interview with Anderson Cooper.
- Heera Hashmi and her amazing spreadsheet of Muslims condemning things gets a Good Muslim Award.
- SAALT cuts their ties with Southwest Airlines.
- Get your copy of Cashmere by the Swet Shop Boys.
- Follow the wise words and music of the awesome Humble the Poet.
In a time of dramatic world change, we know that some of you don't know what to do with yourselves. "How can I help?" you've asked. Might we suggest making a generous Zakat to the #GoodMuslimBadMuslim podcast? "Zakat" in Muslim-speak means "donation" - and if you like what you've heard us say, laugh and cry in the past 2 years of the podcast, make a donation! Your funds will help cover equipment cost, staff time, website maintenance and snacks. We'll send you exclusive #GoodMuslimBadMuslim stickers, and for a really generous donation, we'll mail you a super duper extra special Safety Pin - wear it on your lapel, on your hat, on your shoe - and let the world know you are a #GoodMuslimBadMuslim branded ally.
The one where Taz is on the front lines of being a nasty woman and Zahra asks why she can't have a lightsaber. Both want you to go vote!
We had such high hopes for this Election Day - check out the links below!
WE WON AN AWARD FROM THE OCA-GLA! Check them out, they do such great work.
Friendly reminder that Good Girls Marry Doctors is out, and you can still buy it.
We hung out in the YouTube LA space with Fusion, and here’s the awesome video we made.
“Nasty woman” was supposed to hurt Hillary. Turns out it isn’t.
But Hillary’s rhetoric it is hurting Muslims. The only “front lines” we’re in are for In-N-Out Burger.
It’s getting difficult to keep up with all the Islamophobia, so here’s a convenient timeline of hate.
We are big fans of Hindu and India, and Muslims like us didn’t get our lightsabers like the Hindu Rally said. We demand a refund from the mosques.
If Trump and his supporters wanted Muslims to leave America, he got what he wished for. These Muslims from North Carolina are leaving because of a hate attack on their son.
Pence and Trump are like that couple getting ready to divorce, but not sure whether they will. Pence doesn’t agree with the Muslim ban, but Trump…
The #GoodMuslimBadMuslim guide to voting from Fusion Comedy is up and it's hilarious. Don't let Trump goons keep you from your right to creep Sharia all over those poll-watchers.
Are you tired of the all the games the politicians are playing this fall? Are you ready to play games with their games? As we jump into the final debate for the Presidential Candidates on October 19th, 2016 we want you to play along! With The Official #GoodMuslimBadMuslim Bingo Game!
All you have to do is print out a bingo card - and play along on social media using #GoodMuslimBadMuslim. If you win, send us a photo of your bingo board - and we'll mail you some #GoodMuslimBadMuslim stickers! Good luck!
The one where Taz “reaches out” to NFL quarterbacks to convert them to social activism and Zahra makes Golden Retrievers cry. Both realize they forgot to wear their Muslim Garb. Also, Taz is single.
We’re 21! Our podcast can dr- ...well, I guess that depends on how much of a Good Muslim or Bad Muslim you are. But, regardless, we’re old enough to say we’ve been fighting ISIS for our entire adult lives.
Zahra was in NYC during 9/11 and the most recent bombings. By the way, his dad outed him to the FBI in 2014 and nothing happened. What.
We talk the bigotry when it comes to the shooting of Keith Lamont Scott, how some people think he was being “radicalized.” Because most people are radicalized while waiting to pick up their sons from school.
Some date cookies got bomb-squaded. The only bombs in them were sugar bombs.
Take another swig of pomegranate juice and rose water, another hate crime happened this week: a man’s car was set on fire.
Noor Taghuri spoke to Playboy about wearing a hijab, and Muslim Twitter went wild. Funny, we don’t remember them doing the same for Malcom X and Muhammad Ali.
Taz’s #GoodMuslim award goes out to DJ Nessa, Colin Kaepernick’s girlfriend. Taz also puts it out there that she’s willing to date any NFL quarterbacks. Zahra’s goes out to Rayouf Alhumedhi for designing a hijab emoji.
Taz’s fatwa is for doing away with the garbage term “Muslim Garb.” Women like Nazma Khanam deserve better.
Taz is not married. She is single.